Starfield has plenty of different playstyles and systems to get lost in. You can opt for a gung-ho gunslinger-style build, a stealthy assassin, or an eloquent businessman. However, space exploration is one aspect of the game that'll be particularly appealing to some people. Space Exploration is for people planning to explore Starfield's vast galaxy and drop by every Star System. So, let's look at how you can get the perfect Space Explorer build setup.
What is a Space Explorer Build?
Since you want to become adept at exploring the vastness of space, you will want a build that lets you explore and survey planets as quickly and efficiently as possible. It is essential to focus on your survivability on even the most hostile planets and their respective wildlife and environmental hazards.
The explorer collects most of their XP by visiting and discovering new systems and selling off the precious resources they find there.
Best Space Explorer Backgrounds and Traits
Backgrounds come with starting skills and can affect dialogue options throughout your playthrough.
As a space explorer, you want to pick a background that displays your scientific ability and curiosity as an explorer.
And we are in luck! Starfield has an explorer background, and with that being the case, it's an easy choice. The Explorer background comes with the following skills:
- Lasers - Improves your laser weaponry for dangerous encounters in space.
- Astrodynamics - Increases your Grav Jump range.
- Surveying - Improves your scanner for surveying planets on the surface and from your ship.
For the traits, we suggest the following:
- Alien DNA - Alien DNA gives you extra endurance and more HP at the cost of reduced healing.
- Serpent's Embrace - Grav jumping temporarily boosts health and oxygen.
- Spaced - Health and oxygen increase in space but decrease when on the surface.
Best Skills for Space Explorer
The most important part of your build is the skills you invest in. The Space Explorer will want skills that help them to get around and explore planets quickly.
- Astrodynamics - Increase Grav Jump range. Gain access to the farthest Star Systems.
- Astrophysics - Scan planets and moons from several light years away.
- Boost Pack Training - Allows you to fly up and move around faster.
- Fitness – Increases your oxygen to spring and move around longer.
- Environmental Conditioning - Resistance to environmental hazards.
- Ship Command - Increase the number of crew members on your ship
- Starship Design - Upgrade your starship for better modules and longer grav jumps.
- Particle Beam Weapon Systems - Particle Beams are some of the best ship weapons.
- Zoology - Scan alien creatures more quickly and harvest more resources.
- Surveying - Have a more leisurely time scanning and surveying planets from orbit and on the ground.
- Scanning - Detect unique resources on planets and ships
- Xenosociology - Take control of and command alien creatures.
- Aneutronic Fusion - Increase Reactor energy production.
Best Weapons for Space Explorer
As a Space Explorer, you will want to get your hands on powerful laser weapons. Here are our suggestions for the best early-game laser weapons:
Once you've made it further into the game, switch to these weapons instead:
- Unmitigated Violence
You can also try out any of the other best weapons if you get bored of laser weapons. Watch out for modifiers that will help you in space combat and against various creatures and enemies:
Best Spacesuit for Space Explorer
The best spacesuit for Space Explorers is the UC Antixeno Spacesuit that you get from the quest Hostile Intelligence during the United Colonies questline. Not only does it boast impressive stats and legendary status, but it also comes with the Beast Hunter and Analyzer modifiers that make hunting aliens easier.
- Beast Hunter
- O2 Boosted
- O2 Filter
Best Power for Space Explorer Build in Starfield
As a Space Explorer, you'll be uniquely positioned to visit all the temples and their planets more than any other type of build. So, you must pick out the best powers to help you on your expeditions. Here are our picks for the best Powers for Space Explorers.
- Personal Atmosphere - Create your own pocket of O2 supply anywhere
- Sense Star Stuff - Detect life around you
- Grav Dash - Move around faster.
- Alien Reanimation - Reanimate and control dead aliens
- Elemental Pull - Blast and collect inorganic resources around you instantly.
Best Companion for Space Explorer Build in Starfield
If you plan on exploring the vastness of space, you will need a competent crew alongside you. Here are some of the best companions for the Space Explorer build.
That concludes our guide on the best Space Explorer builds in Starfield. With this setup, you'll be one of the first few to explore the vastness of the Settled Systems in their entirety.
- READ MORE - Best Spacesuits
For more articles like this, take a look at our Builds page.